Information for clinical testing of Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy (LGMD2A and LGMD2B):
We test for point mutations in Calpain-3, CAPN3 (autosomal recessive limb-girdle muscular dystrophy-2A, see GeneReview) and Dysferlin, DYSF (autosomal recessive limb-girdle muscular dystrophy-2B, see GeneReview). You will be responsible for the costs of having the blood drawn, and for shipping it by overnight courier to the University of Utah Genome Center. In order for your sample to be processed, you need to send along the information/billing and DNA testing consent form.
Fluorescence-based, bidirectional Sanger dideoxy sequencing of PCR amplicons spanning all coding regions and intron/exon boundaries of the CAPN3 and DYSF genes. Capillary electrophoresis is performed using an ABI 3730xl DNA Analyzer.
- Print out the information/billing and DNA testing consent form for Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy (LGMD2A and LGMD2B). You and your physician must fill out the form and send it along with the blood sample.
- Print out the UofU_blood_shipping_instructions and take them with you to your doctor or a blood drawing laboratory.
- Print out the CPT Codes for insurance claims.
- Direct sequencing analysis of the CAPN3 and DYSF genes $1,500
- Direct sequencing analysis of the DYSF gene $1,250
- Direct sequencing analysis of the CAPN3 gene $1,150
- Sequencing of a single exon $250 (For family members of patients with previously detected mutations)
- You are responsible for the cost of the test and payment must accompany the sample. If you have insurance, you may be able to submit the bill for the test to your insurance company for reimbursement. We do not bill your insurance company. Payment must be made in US dollars
- It is possible that we will be unable to detect a mutation in the gene. You are still responsible for paying the costs of the test.
Your physician will receive results by mail in approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks.
If you have questions about this testing please contact Diane Dunn (Laboratory Supervisor) at (801) 585-3436.